Acupuncture is the 2,000 year old therapy of inserting fine, sterile needles into specific points in the body to stimulate, strengthen, relieve symptoms of disease and pain.
Acupuncture offers a unique and holistic approach to healthcare that focuses as much on optimising health as it does on treating illness.
Acupuncture treatments aim to treat not only the symptoms of pain, disease or illness but also the cause. For this reason, Acupuncture can decrease and even prevent reoccurrence of chronic pain and illnesses. When receiving an Acupuncture treatment you may notice that your Acupuncturist is inserting needles, or pins as I like to call them, into areas that are not only at your site of pain. This is generally because your practitioner has established the cause of your discomfort and are taking steps to rebalance your body so you can recover faster and work on preventing a reoccurrence. Just one of the many reasons why Acupuncture is fabulous!
Acupuncture is perhaps the most well-known technique used within the broader field of Traditional Chinese Medicine and alongside Chinese Herbal Medicine both professions are regulated similarly to Medical Doctors and Physiotherapists by AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency). Long story short: Acupuncturists are highly qualified and strictly regulated to uphold an exceptional standard of healthcare.
What can Acupuncture Treat?
The World Health Organisation (WHO), the world's consensual authority on all things health related have approved a plethora of conditions that Acupuncture can effectively treat through the results of Evidence-based Medicine and clinical trials. The most common conditions that I treat in clinic include;
:: Musculoskeletal, Joint and Neurological Pain
- Low back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Gym injuries
- Headache and migraine
- Repetitive strain injuries (RSI), Tendonitis and Bursitis
- Strains and sprains
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- General muscle tightness
- Fibromyalgia pain
:: Digestive disorders
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pregnancy care; infertility, supporting successful conception, IVF support, mood management and stress relief, morning sickness, fatigue, hip and low back pain, turning breech presentation baby, labour preparation and inducing labour. Post-natal support and breastfeeding support.
- Menstruation and ovulation regulation and pain relief. PMS, heavy periods, irregular cycles, mood regulation, endometriosis and abnormal vaginal discharge.
- Menopause symptoms. Hot flashes, night sweats, mood regulation, weight gain and decreased libido.
:: General Health, illness prevention and Stress relief.
:: Colds, Flu and sinus.
:: Babies and child complaints
- Teething, colic, constipation, reflux, irritability, cold and flu.